Monday 31 October 2011

From 'just because' to Scrapbook Savvy

Hi Scrappers,

Hope all is good in scrappy land. I've had the background to a layout hanging around for a couple of weeks now - you know when you have an idea but then get completely stuck because you're not quite sure what to do with it?!

I was given some stencils years ago by my lovely MIL and never used them. Anyway, I thought they'd be good for a background so I spent absolutely ages stencilling around each letter onto some white bazzil. Not just once though (why make things simple when you can make it so much more complicated and time consuming like I always do) but three times, in different coloured markers. I then decided it looked too dull so I coloured in some of the letters using a copic marker. Then I didn't like the shade of yellow I picked so re-coloured the letters in a Stamping Up marker. I still thought it was slightly boring so then I whacked a few drops of trusty old Glimmer Mist on it. Eventually I thought it would do. I looked at it. And looked at it. And looked at it some more. And I couldn't think of a damn thing I could do with it.

That's where Anthea's challenge came in on Scrapbook Savvy. I thought it was the perfect sketch for such a busy background and that's why this layout went from a 'just because' layout to a challenge layout!

So after that extremely long winded explanation (are you still awake?), here's Anthea's sketch..


And here's the layout that took forever...




To be honest I'm still not sure about that background but you've got to get out of your comfort zone eh?

Thanks for stopping by and hope I've cured your insomnia!
Cheers,
Claire xx

3 comments:

  1. Wow I just LOVE this Claire, all your hard work has really paid off because its beautiful. I just love the background and the little touch of mist ROCKS!!!! AWESOME x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must have been great if A mag picked it up! Can't wait to see it
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh I came to see your layout and its gone!! Congrats on the submission. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - they really make my day!